Monday, October 21, 2013

Isaac's Room Reveal

Isaac’s room is officially finished and I love it! Totally worth not being able to truly nest for over two years. I'm so happy that many of his family had a hand in making it special.

Warning: Thanks to my HGTV addiction (yes, I have a link to online episodes of “House Hunters” and “Property Brothers” on my browser’s bookmark bar…oohh, alliteration), every time I work on house projects I *may* pretend I’m on an episode. So, for those who don’t want all the gritty details of what went into completing "the look," just scroll through the pretty pictures.

Here’s a before and after of the final product. (Of course I forgot to take a before picture so we’ll have to use the one from the sale listing.)


And here’s what all we did:

* Before we moved any furniture in, I (with help from my Mom and Aunt Lucille) painted the bottom portion of the wall blue. I was tempted to say “the bottom half” but, in case you weren’t sure just how nerdy we are, Andrew actually looked up the Golden Ratio to make sure the split would be “visually appealing.” Then Andrew painted and installed a chair rail.

* The dresser on the right side of the picture (and a twin bed and desk that Isaac will eventually grow into) has been passed down from Andrew’s dad, to Andrew, and now to Isaac. When he graduates to the bigger furniture he’ll get to add his name and date to the running list of owners written in the desk drawer. Love it!


* The “big boy bed” we got off Craigslist before leaving New York. The bookcase Andrew built and stained using the one I built in graduate school as a guide.


* The quilt hanging and accent pillows I made using adorable vehicle fabric I found online as the theme and quilting fabric remnants from my Mom. Score! I bought complementary fabric and made two sheet sets and some blackout curtains. Side note: Did you know you don’t need any fancy equipment to set grommets?? I’ve avoided making grommeted curtains for years because I assumed you needed a special rivet gun or something!

* For a little coordinating décor, Andrew’s dad built a stand so we could feature the baby book I made Isaac. I also repurposed a picture frame from some old wood ones we weren’t planning to use anymore and painted it with leftover paint from the wall. I had a navy mat cut to size and filled it in with some of my favorite shots we had already printed.


I also used the paint leftovers to brighten the kids’ bathroom. Before, it was a tribute to the many shades of brown. Now it accentuates the fish theme.


Posts of more of our outdoor endeavors and Allison’s room reveal are coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment